Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Balance is the key to enjoying life's passions!

Today I was part of an intense consensus panel which meant my brain was working non-stop. Don't get me wrong... I thoroughly ENJOYED my day. It was stimulating to be part of a group with talented people who came together to exchange ideas and share our knowledge. After the day was over, a small group of us went out to dinner at one of my favorite places, Roy's.

Upon seating, it dawned to me that I was not that hungry. I was just pooped and knew I needed fuel. Roy's does a great job in taking an unique approach to seafood. I believe it was Roy's that got me to fall in love with fish. I came from a place where they typically served fish just as is. No sauces, no spices, no herbs, no flavors. Of course it was no surprise that a foodie like me would detest fish! I tried Roy's for the first time a long time ago and was impressed fish tasted far better than just that flaky thing laying on the plate. Tonight, I was feeling adventurous and tried the Australian barramundi with sun-dried tomato pesto. Yes... it was delicious. But... I was not in the right mindset to savor the dish. I was too exhausted to pay attention to how my palate was reacting... whether it was jumping in joy, , awestruck, thrilled, or floating on cloud 9... I will never know. Guess that's a boon for Roy's because that might mean I would have to go back and sample the dish again and pay attention to the details.

Roy's is also well-known for their melting hot chocolate souffle. It not only literally melts in the middle but it also makes me melt! If any of my close friends knew I skipped the souffle at Roy's, they would be like, "You WHAT?!!" I believe tonight was the first time I ever left Roy's without the melted chocolate floating happily in my tummy. I was not up for the souffle. Dang.

As I drove home, a valuable reminder came to me... if one wants to truly enjoy the flavors of life (both literally and figuratively), one must have balance in life. I am grateful that I have a job that gives me the freedom to enjoy the flavors of life outside my work hours. This left me wondering about how many people out there only eat to survive and re-fuel. If that was the case for me, I wouldn't be sitting here writing this.

Signing off as I curl up on the couch recovering from a wonderful but tedious day with my dessert- a can of R.W. Knudsen Ginger Ale Spritzer. Hey... it was the only available sweet thing in my home and it's sugar free! They use apple juice instead- awesome! As I drink it, I imagine it's the thick melting chocolate.... and they say visualization is a powerful thing. We shall see about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment