Saturday, February 11, 2017

It's All in the Scent

At a recent dinner gathering, someone commented that she is usually unsure when something is done cooking.  I told her it's all in the scent.  I can smell when something is done baking in the oven or cooking on the stovetop.   The food changes smell.  I can't describe it.  I just know when it's time to take it out of the oven or turn off the stove.  Unfortunately... sometime I would be too busy doing something else when I smell it and I figured, "Just another couple of minutes wouldn't hurt," to finish up what I was doing and I find that I had overcooked something.  Dang!  When I smell and know, I have to rush to the kitchen to remove it from the heat source.

I am truly blessed with a great olfactory ability.  If I walk down the street with my dog, I can smell what each house is cooking.  Unfortunately, I live in an area where there are many college students so I smell a lot of frozen pizzas, frozen chicken nuggets, and frozen french fries.  Yech.  I usually can smell Subway a few blocks away.  I hate the smell of their bread.  My "Subway" alert goes off when I recognize that familiar nasty odor.

Funny, that 'someone' was asking her husband at a later time if something was done cooking.  He said that perhaps they should have me come by to do the 'scent test' to let them know it was done.  I laughed when he shared this account with me.

I have heard that mindfulness practices do help improve one's ability to smell.  Cooking is a practice of mindfulness.  Did I always have that ability to detect when food is done cooking?  Nope.  I have to be in a good place to have that ability-- meaning a healthy home environment and in tune with my mindfulness practice.  Sometime when my mind goes into a million directions, I am detached from my ability to smell.  Thus, it is often good to be grounded when you're cooking and smelling to avoid setting the kitchen on fire, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment