Friday, May 8, 2020

Ninja Foodi: An Instant Pot on Steroids

Cyber Monday is my favorite time of the year to look for some great deals. This past November, I was able to snag a great deal on an eight-quart Ninja Foodi.



I had wanted a pressure cooker for some time after hearing rave reviews from friends about their Instant Pot. An InstaPot seemed safer than the old pressure cooker that was in the kitchen while I was a child. I witnessed various chefs get hurt when the shaky part on the top was removed or if they try to open the lid too soon.

PRESTO Stainless Steel 4qt Pressure Cooker 409A c.1974 image 0
However, as I have discovered with our small kitchen, I developed a preference for multi-purpose items. I was not sure if it was worthwhile to buy a pressure cooker to take up the space. Thanks to my research background, I was able to come across Ninja Foodi. I was immediately intrigued because it was multipurpose! It was like an Instant Pot on steroids, I swear. It is a pressure cooker, steamer, slow cooker, air fryer, roaster, broiler, dehydrator in one!

We are in love. Unfortunately, our kitchen is not big enough to accommodate two of those. I can just dream for a bigger kitchen in the near future.


I have used all functions so far. Here's what I have learned about each function:
  • Pressure: It makes perfect hard boiled eggs. My husband and I want to try making soft-boiled eggs next. It does well for hot cereals, legumes, and grains (quinoa). You can pressure cook a whole chicken then switch to air crisp (air frying function) to finish it off. 
  • Steam: we are still figuring out this one. I personally like the stovetop method of steaming better but will keep on playing with this one.
  • Slow cook: I have done different recipes and they turn out well. I used this feature to make bone broth. After cooking for 24 hours, this ended up smelling like bone broth for a while (I did not like this smell). I think I will stick with my regular slow cooker for bone broths which does not retain that smell afterwards.
  • Sear/saute is a nice feature to prepare for pressure/roasting functions.
  • Air crisp: we used to have a separate air fryer but this one makes better fries (potato/sweet potato). We also use this for broccoli and Brussel sprouts. Yum.
  • Bake/Roast: We find that it's faster to roast vegetables in this than in the oven. Roasting fish on a high rack for about 12 minutes is also delicious!
  • Broil: Funny, this is one function I have yet to try. I do not normally broil food anyway.
  • Dehydrate: I bought a separate accessory (dehydrator accessory with five levels). I made dried cranberries. I love dried cranberries but it's so difficult to find dried cranberries without cane sugar. I mixed cranberries with maple syrup before putting them in the Foodi. 
If you are aching for a new kitchen toy to play with during the pandemic, this is it!




No comments:

Post a Comment