To state the obvious, one major impact of the COVID-19 is that I have much more free time to write. And there's been talks about how there's a shortage of yeast as everyone's suddenly trying their hand at making artisan bread (my husband as an example). As my friend, Katie commented yesterday after I told her I was cooking a lot those days, "Don't you already cook a lot?" I replied saying that I am cooking a lot more! Thus, I am looking forward to sharing some of what I have learned in the past few weeks after spending more hours in the kitchen.
For now... I want to comment on how it has been touching to see a sense of community when it comes to cooking. I am seeing people sharing recipes and tips. It is through those exchanges that we remain connected as a community. A friend, Alisha, posted on her Facebook wall a recipe for Navajo Flatbreads. I tried the recipe using spelt flour as I do not do well with wheat flour. Those flatbreads are great with hummus and labne. My husband's nerd buddy, Jon made videos in ASL how to make bread which inspired my husband to get a dutch oven and other things he needed to bake bread. A couple of friends, Aaron and Blake, talked about maybe making mango chutney which prompted us to find a great recipe for mango-ginger chutney. Now our freezer is filled up with little jars with mango-ginger chutney for future meals.
Going back to Katie's sentiment about me usually cooking a lot, I am truthfully touched by how much more time people are spending in their kitchens those days. There's something to be said about the essence of being lost in the kitchen. It is therapeutic and meditative.
I look forward to more of those exchanges as we ride out this difficult time. Until the next time... :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment