Sunday, February 14, 2010

Always a Gastronomical Adventure in Europe!

Vienna! I think I am starting to enjoy Austrian food more than German food. There are still some traditional German food here but there's also the Austrian variations and specialties that make it even a wholesome experience for me. :-)

My meals in recap:

Saturday lunch: SPAETZLE with cheese! That was my favorite dish in Germany when I visited last fall. A friend and I went to the Rathauspark where they had food stands. I spotted the word 'spaetzle' and got all excited. I dashed there and ordered some for myself. The Austrian variation has dried onion topping on this dish. The first bite I took sent me whirling in food heaven. I was grateful that I had an opportunity to eat this dish again after four months. I am spoiled.

Saturday afternoon warmer: hot mint chocolate. This one was so rich and thick... it felt like we were eating pudding... we did digest it with a small spoon. It was too thick to drink. Delish!

Saturday dinner: goulash. This Austrian specialty was something I always loved every time I came to Austria. This cute small place in the NachtMarkt (Night Market) served the best I have ever tasted. There was a right combination of spices and flavors. YUM. It came with a knodl (dumpling). I am tempted to go back for one more before I leave. If it happens... it shall happen.

Sunday dinner: Italian! I was fortunate to find someone who wanted a gastronomical adventure with me. We shared three courses together. I LOVE sharing food... I taste more that way. I think I am sending a vibe to the universe to put people who like to share food in my life. I am blessed. We had potato-truffle soup. Wintertime in Europe means.... truffle time! Ahhhhhh! That was followed by tagliatelle with truffle sauce. Yes... I can't get enough of the truffles. Then the salad cleaned our palate in preparation for the sachertorte we purchased from the place where the dessert originated from, Demel. This was certainly a memorable Valentine's Day meal!

Ahh... am I making you drool yet? More to come! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment